Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart New TopicStart New Poll

The Nature Of Your Reality, Jaqi and Edward
NPC
 Posted: Jul 22 2018, 05:31 PM

Scholar

Group: NPC
Gold: 3550

Donate

Species: N/A
Affiliation: Other
Character Profile
Played By: N/A

Awards: None

Edward Branson's POV

Words in italics indicate Edward and Viktoria communicating telepathically.

"Will you be a good father today, Eddie?"

Edward opened his eyes. He had been dreaming of Jing Jing. Again. But he wasn't very sure why. He turned to look out. It was raining, even in the summer. And with that -

His fingers, what was left of it, started to throb. His ribs began to ache. He stood up and tried to stretch, but stumbled. Viktoria immediately put her paw up on his back to steady him.

He limped towards the anbaric heater in his room. This morning was surprisingly painful. It hadn't been this bad since he had bought an anbaric heater -

He touched the anbaric heater. Cold. He cocked his brow, then reached for the bathroom's anbaric lights.

Nothing.

He shaved, showered and dressed, regardless, strapping on his hidden blades in the process. There was still warm water, so that was something.

He then walked out of the room slowly, trying to work the stiffness out, hiding his limp from Jaqi.

No point worrying her. Not yet anyway.

OOC: BABsy's hidden blade, except it's smaller and hidden under his sleeves. I think Jaqi would know this. Hahahah.
user posted image

--

Unless specifically stated, your character can do nearly anything to an NPC!

Specific NPC's may appear in any threads at any time!

Feel free to make an NPC today!
PM
Jaqi Oaklin
 Posted: Jul 23 2018, 12:14 AM

Neutral Urchin & Magisterium Undercover

Group: Members
Gold: 8322

Donate

Species: Human
Affiliation: Neutral
Character Profile
Played By: Jaqi

Awards: 14

Jaqi was up and about it 6am this morning. Not because she wanted to, she treasured her sleep, but because she had a meeting with Jake at 9am to train with the bow, and her brain had somehow woken her up 3 hours early.

The early 20s-something year old and her lion daemon had tiptoed their way across the second floor, trying to avoid all the creaks on the floorboards to not disturb Edward’s and Viktoria’s sleep.

Jaqi put the kettle on and warmed up some leftover bread in the oven. Furo yawned and laid down by the dining table. They weren't morning people and so didn't talk to each other. She took a warm cup of water, poured herself a cup of milk as well, and together with the bread, settled down at the table to read the Book of Dast, by Philip Pushman to pass time.

At around 8.15am, they heard sounds from their parent’s room upstairs. Jaqi continued reading, she'd have to head off soon to meet Jake anyway. Furo’s tail flicked once in response to the noise, and moved to lay across the foot of the stairs instead to wait for Viktoria.

Currently I am in hiding with Edward Branson (my father) at one of Richard Mackenzie's safe houses.

Jaqi: One step closer, and I'll put a stone in your eye.
Furo: I will always protect Jaqi, Viktoria and Edward with my heart and soul.
Jaqi and Furocah's profile
PM
NPC
 Posted: Jul 23 2018, 06:53 PM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

Edward Branson's POV

Edward and Viktoria smelled the bread as soon as they stepped out of the room. Jaqi and Furo were already up. At 8.17am on a Sunday?

The man cocked a brow at Viktoria who shook her head once. She didn't know either. But if she needed to guess, it would be meeting Mr Doyle.

Edward wasn't sure what to think of Jaqi's burgeoning friendship with Mr Doyle as they headed downstairs. He was sure it was more than just a friendship, but Jaqi had rarely mentioned him, so he never pursued the topic.

Viktoria and him stopped at the second bottom step, expecting Furocah to wait for them at the bottom. And as expected, there he was. Viktoria leaned forward to give him a friendly paw-boop on the nose. Like Jaqi, Furo had changed. Unlike Jaqi, he was still chatty, but he became slightly touchy when anything touched his mane.

Edward gave Jaqi a small smile from the staircase.

"Good morning, Jaqi. Are the lights working in your room?"

--

PM
Jaqi Oaklin
 Posted: Jul 24 2018, 01:59 AM

Donate

Character Profile

Jaqi was distracted by the sound of her parents coming down the stairs. She read a sentence 3 times without digesting it in her mind. Furo shuffled aside to let them pass, purring as his mother bobbed his nose. Furo followed them into the kitchen.

Jaqi didn't look up from her book when Edward asked his question. ‘Morning,’ she said. ‘Haven't been to my room since I woke up. Didn't turn them on this morning.’ Now her curiosity was burning, wondering why he had asked her that question. Surely something was wrong with the lights. But she didn't ask. She'd find out eventually.

Furo went to sit beside Jaqi instead, shaking his magnificent young mane and yawning. It was still going to grow and he knew it.

Jaqi closed her book and stood up, finishing her milk and water in a gulp.Then she ignited the kettle back on for Edward. ‘Hot water,’ she said simply. The young woman gave her plate and cups a quick rinse and prepared to leave the kitchen.

Currently I am in hiding with Edward Branson (my father) at one of Richard Mackenzie's safe houses.

PM
NPC
 Posted: Jul 24 2018, 06:02 PM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

Edward Branson's POV

"Thank you."

Edward placed a tea bag in his mug while waiting for the water to boil.

"The anbaric lights in my room are not working. Neither was my anbaric heater."

He rubbed his side subconsciously.

"I was just..."

A knock on the door, just as the kettle whistled. Edward stopped mid sentence, his guard immediately up. Viktoria, in the midst of batting Furo's tail away, stayed low to the ground, growling softly. They weren't expecting visitors this morning. They hardly expected visitors at all. But if they were the Magisterium, they wouldn't have knocked...

The man approached the door without thinking. The Magisterium wanted Viktoria and him, not his children. If they found him opening the door, he could delay them, buy them time to run...

He cautiously looked through the peephole.

Their neighbours. The Pines.

Edward carefully looked at their surroundings through the peephole. Nothing suspicious.

"Yes?"

"Hai, Mr Hawkins! It's Felix! Can we please borrow your radio? Ours died and my kid here, Sally wants to listen to her Saturday morning program. The one about a dancing sponge living in a grapefruit underwater."

Edward paused. Viktoria sheathed her claws.

They seem harmless, Edward. Be kind. Let them in.

"Pleaaseee?"

Sally beamed a toothy smile at him. Nine years old. It was unlikely for the Magisterium to use a child of her age in a hit job.

So "Mr Hawkins" rearranged his face into a smile, shot Jaqi an apologetic look and carefully opened the door.

"Of course. Our radio is in the living room."

His accent was now Scottish.

--

PM
Jaqi Oaklin
 Posted: Jul 25 2018, 01:36 AM

Donate

Character Profile

Jaqi and Furo were halfway up the stairs when the knock came. They both tensed immediately and stopped in their tracks. Jaqi was about to head toward the door to see who it was when Edward beat her to it. Frowning, she perched herself on the second bottom step, her mind flying to think where the closest weapon was. She had a knife in her room, but there were also knives in the kitchen.

Furo stood beside his mother, fur raised. But his ears picked up the muffled sounds of a kid bouncing around outside and guessed who it was just as Edward opened the door.

Jaqi’s face turned into a grin and she walked down the rest of the stairs. ‘Hi Mr Pine, hi Sally!’ she said, her face brightening considerably, not looking at her father. She noted that her dad had taken on a Scottish accent - a front.

Furo poked his nose in the air to take a sniff and greet Felix's otter daemon on the ground, and also Sally's who was currently a puppy dog.

‘Hi Jane!’ the young girl chirped. Jaqi watched as the girl bobbed into their house. The young woman ruffled Sally's hair. All of a sudden, she was hit by a strong memory of another young girl she had known in her childhood by the same name. Jaqi’s smile faded. Furo felt the darkness wash over his human and turned to see what was going on.

It only lasted a moment because another young boy darted into the room. ‘Mr Hawkins! Jane! Morning!’ the boy beamed.

Jaqi turned and saw that Sally's twin, Chris, had also entered the house. Her smile came back on and she led the two children into the living room.

‘Your dad said dancing sponge? You don't mean Spongebab, do you?’ Jaqi said, cheerfully.

‘Yes Spongebab!’ Sally squeaked.

‘Do you listen to it too?’ Chris asked excitedly.

‘Sure do! It's only the best radio program ever!’ Jaqi replied, turning on the radio to test it. ‘Let your dad plug it in ok?’

But nothing happened to the radio. No sound, no lights. Jaqi hit it gently on the side. Nothing.

‘Ours don't seem to be working either.’

Sally and Chris groaned in disappointment.

PM
NPC
 Posted: Jul 25 2018, 06:09 PM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

Edward Branson's POV

Words in italics indicate Edward and Victoria communicating telepathically.

Spongebab?

Edward closed the door. That sounded vaguely familiar...

Spongebab is a children's program about a sponge.

Edward looked at Viktoria blankly.

He laughs like this.

Viktoria screwed her head in fierce concentration, then let out a telepathic laugh.

Pahahaahhhahaha.

Edward shuddered. Now he remembered.

Please stop that.

Viktoria stopped immediately. But she was mildly offended at her human's reaction.

I thought he was a very wise sponge.

Her human stared at her.

Do you follow this program?

When Jaqi puts it on for breakfast, yes. I think Furocah likes it.

Edward supposed he had better stay with the Pines to listen to it if Viktoria liked it so much. But their radio sputtered, and his mood, from utter bemusement a second ago, swung back to high alert.

Two radios not working. Their anbaric lights were out. Something was wrong.

He leant against the wall casually and addressed Felix and his family.

"That is strange. Has your radio stopped working like ours?"

Felix nodded.

"Yea. No sound, nothing. We could hear a bit of static, but that's it."

Edward tried to catch Jaqi's eye. Did she know what was going on?

--

PM
Jaqi Oaklin
 Posted: Jul 26 2018, 05:40 AM

Donate

Character Profile

Jaqi walked the twins back to the front door where both of their fathers were. She patted their heads to comfort them. ‘We'll let you know when our radio is back on, ok?’ she told the kids. ‘Maybe we can listen to Spongebab together one time.’

Sally and Chris brightened at this. ‘Ok,’ Sally said, grinning up at Jaqi, then at Felix. ‘Dad, can Jane come over next week?’

The man nodded, smiling. ‘Of course! Mr Hawkins is invited too!’

Jaqi stared at the family, feeling her father's eyes on her when they talked about the malfunctioning radios. Furo poked Viktoria on her side with his nose, then sniffed around for the children's daemons on the kid's clothing. ‘I'll keep trying the radio,’ Jaqi told the family, ‘I'm just about to head out but I'll keep trying when I return.’

PM
NPC
 Posted: Jul 26 2018, 05:59 PM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

Edward Branson's POV

Mr "Hawkins" smiled. If Viktoria thought this sponge was wise and his children liked the program so much, then he would give it a shot.

"I will be there."

Edward rubbed Viktoria's head, who looked rather pleased at her human agreeing to have a little family time. Felix, not wanting to intrude on his neighbours, ushered his kids out of the house.

"See you all later! Thanks again."

Edward smiled and nodded as the little family left. He closed the door behind them and turned to face Jaqi in his normal voice.

"Have you heard anything from your friends, child? Two radios, the anbaric lights, the heater...this isn't normal."

--

PM
Jaqi Oaklin
 Posted: Jul 28 2018, 04:13 AM

Donate

Character Profile

By the time Edward had the door closed, Jaqi was already halfway up the stairs. Furo lingered behind, bumping heads with Viktoria before moving up the stairs after his human.

Jaqi sighed softly at her dad's question. ‘I don't know, Dad,’ she said curtly. ‘I've been here all morning, how would I know?’

Jaqi reached the top of the stairs, already feeling guilty that she was snappy at Edward. ‘Look, I'm going to train with Jake. I'll ask if he's heard anything, ok?’

The young woman didn't look at her father. She turned the corner before he could answer and disappeared into her room to get changed.

PM
NPC
 Posted: Jul 28 2018, 09:05 PM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

Edward Branson's POV

Edward picked on the left over bread on the table while sipping his tea, methodically considering all the happenings of the morning. He wasn't a scholar, but even he knew not to jump to conclusions.

"Jaqi, can you please check the anbaric lights in your room? Do they work?"

--

PM
Jaqi Oaklin
 Posted: Jul 30 2018, 02:30 PM

Donate

Character Profile

-- After discussions with Remus, Edward Branson has woken up on a good day. Jaqi Oaklin will also be in a good mood and not be dismissive of her father --

Jaqi walked up the stairs with Furo to their room. The young woman switched the lights on and off. But the lights did not respond. She moved to the bathroom and tried the same thing. The lights were unresponsive as well.

‘How odd, an outage perhaps,’ Furo suggested, leading the way back downstairs.

Jaqi went into the kitchen where Edward was sitting and tried the switch. The lights remained off.

However, she was distracted. The malfunctioning lights and radios were the least of her worries. She could sense that Edward was on a good day. The last time this happened was more than 4 weeks ago. She was keeping track.

We aren't going out today with Jake, Furo.

Dad’s good day.

Yes, Jake will come around to the house if I don't show up at the training track.

Being at home today was more important.

Jaqi sat at the table next to Edward while Furo settled beside Viktoria.

‘None of the lights work,’ she said, taking a piece of bread off Edward’s plate and taking a bite of it. ‘Furo reckons it's an anbaric outage.’ The young woman looked intently at Edward, studying him. But her heart felt more lifted than it had been for a long time.

PM
NPC
 Posted: Jul 30 2018, 07:03 PM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

Edward Branson's POV

Edward smiled at Jaqi. He had a thought. But there was no point in worrying her.

"Possible. But then we have the radio transmissions. The Pines could hear static. That isn't anbaric. That's a disruption to the radios."

He finished his bread and dusted his hands. Or what was left of them anyway.

"Hence why I asked you if you had heard anything. The Magisterium has attempted to cut off anbaric energy and radio transmissions before. In a town called Ripon, North of Brytain."

Viktoria flicked her ears, but didn't add anything. What else could she say? That Edward was so knowledgeable about this particular process because he was part of it?

Maybe not. Not yet.

His daemon privately acknowledged him and went back to scratching the back of her ear.

--

PM
Jaqi Oaklin
 Posted: Aug 1 2018, 11:58 PM

Donate

Character Profile

Jaqi rubbed her chin in thought. Edward had a point. She gazed out the window for a moment. 'I haven't heard anything,' she said, still somewhat distracted and marvelling at Edward's good day. 'I didn't know it was out until you mentioned it.'

Furo flicked his tail, listening to the conversation intently from beside Viktoria.

'What could be the purpose? A blackout at this scale could mean something big is happening right now. Maybe Jake would know. Could it be related to the theoretical physics research they are doing?'

She didn't want to mention the word Dust, it was dangerous even in the safety of their home. This topic had always been the elephant in the room to her where the Magisterium was concerned. Jaqi didn't know what it was exactly but it something that was taboo.

PM
NPC
 Posted: Aug 2 2018, 05:03 PM

Scholar

Donate

Character Profile

Edward Branson's POV

Edward smiled. Jaqi seemed more cheerful today. More open. Maybe she had changed and become a morning person.

"I thought the Magisterium wanted to...pay us a visit."

He cleared his throat and rubbed Viktoria's head. Even mentioning the Magisterium, thinking about how they could attack his family was like a gut punch.

"But if they had wanted to ambush us, they would have disrupted our anbaric lights and radio at night. Not in the morning."

Edward smiled again, trying to convince Jaqi that everything was all right.

--

PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Blackout of Brytain | Next Newest »

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart New TopicStart New Poll