Group: Members
Gold: 110

Donate

Species: human
Affiliation: Neutral
Character Profile
Played By: phillip

Awards: None

The retiring room wasn't as exciting as Elodine had been lead to believe. Six meetings, and she still didn't understand why women weren't allowed to step foot in. It was a room, like any other -- filled with equipment that she saw almost daily! It frustrated her to no end that she still had to disguise herself to be allowed in. Even if the Master of the college was accepting, there were still a fair few scholars that would balk at the idea of a woman trading knowledge with them. So there she was, in a frumpy three piece suit -- waistcoat slightly faded and buttons a bit worn. Now, the only reason her fellow professors looked at her funny was because of her financial standing. ( not that she paid much mind to that )

Nestled in her waistcoat, Arnold nipped at the edge of her bow tie, making very soft squawking noises. It took Elodine a moment to realize he was trying to warn her of hair that had slipped out of the pins. Thankfully, most of the scholars hadn't arrived just yet, and she could fix it without much fuss at all. With an affectionate scratch to her daemon's head, she began to focus on the meeting that was soon to start.

Elodine was about ready to speak when the last scholar entered. Momentarily startled, her gaze was almost transfixed when she noticed the man's daemon. Even Arnold, the calmer of the two, was spooked -- feathers ruffled from his spot in her waistcoat. She'd never seen such a striking daemon. ( of course, her company comprised of mostly other professors and the butlers ) Even meeting Lord Asriel's daemon hadn't felt quite like this. It took her a moment to look away, cheeks pink with her embarrassment. Intimidated by a man's daemon! How silly of her. He was just a tall, charismatic looking man. Nothing to be nervous about at all!

❝ Very sorry fer the wait! The Master's asked me t' start the discussion off-- ❞ she trailed off, attempting to keep her Scottish brogue in check, eyes momentarily flickering to the strange man with the white tiger for a daemon. She needed to keep her gaze off of them, lest they figure things out. ❝ he didnae think he was gonna be so late, but he miscalculated. Somefink from the Magisterium, I guess. ❞ She attempted to keep her distaste for them a secret, the only indication being a small twitch in her fingers.

Taking a moment to set up one of the projectors, she put a slide in, turning to one of the scholars. There was less anxiety now that she didn't have to say much else. Holding a consistent deep voice was quite taxing. Moving out of the way of the projector and scholars, she stood idly near the miniature planetarium. The Master would be there soon, and she wouldn't have to worry about a thing.
PM
Richard Mackenzie
 Posted: Jul 29 2018, 04:59 PM

I'm all six feet five of solidified handsome.

Group: Admin
Gold: 4865

Donate

Species: Human
Affiliation: Republic of Heaven
Character Profile
Played By: Remus

Richard finished his dessert, nodded at the scholar beside him and headed towards the Retiring Room. He had kept up with these monthly visits. Not many of the findings were useful to him, the company was not particularly entertaining but appearances had to be kept, and for whatever it was worth, the Oxford grapevine was still fairly insightful.

Morpheusa licked her bowl of creme brulee clean and followed her human out of the dining room and into the Retiring Room.

How, I wonder, is the Master going to expect me to stay awake tonight.

Be nice. The scholars try their best.

Ahah! So you do admit they're boring!

No I didn't!

Richard smirked at Morpheusa as he opened the door to the Retiring Room. A scholar was already inside, fixing his hair and preparing the projector. Richard took a seat by the door, while Morpheusa moved in closer and smiled and nodded at the speaker's crow daemon politely.

Her human looked about the group for the evening. The usual faces, some new ones, the speaker being one of them.

"So? What are talking about this evening?"

PM
elodine greenhand
 Posted: Jul 29 2018, 09:28 PM

Restless Dæmon

Donate

Character Profile

Elodine watched her fellow scholar speak, ignoring the nervous squawk Arnold made when Morpheusa nodded to him. In her head, all she could hear was him panicking, asking her what to do. Quietly telling Arnold to shush himself, she began to touch the planetarium, a soft smile on her features. She didn't much care about Dust. It wasn't her field, and listening to scholars drone on and on about their findings were something she could do with out. What she liked, was space. Of course, when the Master of Jordan's College himself asked her to lead the discussion, she felt that she had no choice in the matter.

What distracted her from the planetarium, was the sight of the white tiger. The daemon was a lot bigger now that she was a lot closer. It took a moment to realize she'd been addressed, a perplexed expression on her face when she looked up at him. Goodness, she was barely at his chest. ( there was such a thing as too tall, in her opinion ) Hopefully, he wouldn't think badly of her first impression.

❝ Terribly sorry, i didnae realize you were talking t' me. ❞ There were better experts to ask, and she wasn't exactly sure what she could say to the man. ❝ Some'f the scholars are talkin' about Rusakov particles, Dust n' such. Are you here to speak on your findings as well? ❞ Arnold poked his head out of Elodine's waistcoat for a moment, trying to get a good look at the man.
PM
Richard Mackenzie
 Posted: Jul 31 2018, 06:16 PM

Donate

Character Profile

Richard grinned. Someone who didn't know him? That was new.

"Not really. I'm a guest of the college. Name's Richard. Richard Mackenzie. This here's Morpheusa"

Welcome to reality.

Shut up, Morpheusa.

It must be so nice up there, actually thinking that everyone knew you.

He aimed a kick at her, but missed, so he winked at Arnold instead, trying to save face.

"Sorry if my daemon is bothering you."

PM
elodine greenhand
 Posted: Jul 31 2018, 09:13 PM

Restless Dæmon

Donate

Character Profile

Elodine couldn’t recall meeting many guests that the college allowed into meetings. Then again, she’d only recently been allowed to sit in on the meetings. The only person she actually remembered meeting was Lord Asriel, and that was a very brief meeting. “It’s nice t’meet you, Mr. Mackenzie, Morpheusa. My name’s uh - Eli Greenhand. I teach some of the experimental theology classes.” Arnold looked almost perplexed when Richard winked at him, letting out clicking noises.

“You must excuse her, she doesn’t talk much at all.” She was just glad he hadn’t made noises that only male crows normally made. Looking to Morpheusa and then to Richard, she frowned. “She’s not bothering me at all! I’ve just never seen such a big daemon before.” She spoke too quickly to moderate her voice, but she didn’t seem to notice at all.
PM
Richard Mackenzie
 Posted: Aug 2 2018, 05:13 PM

Donate

Character Profile

Richard grinned.

"Sorry Morpheusa scared you. She's a little fat."

Morpheusa hissed and glared at her human.

"No, I'm not."

A scholar behind them clicked his tongue and tutted. Richard immediately shot back.

"Don't blame me for your shortcomings, Jack. It's not Eli's fault that you can't carry a conversation like him."

Richard smiled at Eli as the other scholars shook their heads in dismay at Richard's antics behind his back.

"Go on with your talk. I'm listening."

PM
elodine greenhand
 Posted: Aug 5 2018, 01:56 AM

Restless Dæmon

Donate

Character Profile

❝ O-Oh, no, Mr. Mackenzie, she's perfectly fine! I mean, I'm used to beagle daemons and little birds, is all. ❞ It was very rare for her to be far from Jordan's College at all. ❝ I have met Lord Asriel, though. That was a bit more intimidatin', in my opinion -- even if it was just in passing. ❞

Looking over to the scholars when she heard the tutting, she couldn't keep a deep rosy blush from her cheeks. She'd forgotten that they were meant to talk quieter! The comment that Richard had shot back seemed to make a handful of the scholars more bitter than the rest, and Elodine noticed right away. ( it was because they knew, and they were rather bitter that a female scholar was considered a better conversationalist )

As the scholars returned to their meeting, Arnold made a surprising appearance from Elodine's waistcoat, an excited glint in his eye. ❝ Did'ya see their faces? Serves 'em right for boring us! ❞ He'd whispered to Elodine, though his whisper was loud enough that Richard might have heard. Neither human nor daemon seemed to realize that Arnold has spoken aloud, as Elodine was smiling down at Arnold and ruffling the feathers on his head.

❝ How come I haven't seen you at other meetings, Mr. Mackenzie? It would have been nice to have someone to talk to while the other scholars droned on. ❞
PM
Richard Mackenzie
 Posted: Aug 9 2018, 06:18 PM

Donate

Character Profile

Richard smirked.

"Don't worry. I'm nothing like Asriel."

Morpheusa caught some whispers between Elo and her daemon, although she couldn't hear the full sentence.

She thinks you're boring, Richard.

No. She thinks you're boring. She thinks I'm nice to talk to.

Richard smiled at Elo as Morpheusa fumed beside him.

"I'm only here about once a month. I don't speak or chair meetings. I just listen. See which experiments I can fund. That's usually the scholar which doesn't bore me."

He winked at him.

"What studies do you do, Elo? If I think it's interesting, I wouldn't mind funding it."

PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | The Retiring Room | Next Newest »

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart New TopicStart New Poll